Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Neale Matthews

Florida. Where the sun is.

31st Jul 2012

RE: Graham Cup Final

The final has been postponed and will now take place at Carrick on 15th Aug with a 1pm start.

Jeff Maguire

waiting on the deluge , forecast is getting worse instead better

31st Jul 2012

re vcc the reason i would want reduce below premier to 40 over games is simple as more players are struggling to give up quality family , after working all week and time it takes travel its a 10/12 hour day which was ok in my era but the modern WAG will not put up for . If i was starting my playing career theres no chance of playing 40 yrs and still be in a relationship. my suggestion is just for debate and as i say whats to lose if revert back if clubs dont like it? Ivan i can only talk of my club id love to see play in premier but simple fact is they not near good enough and to be honest it can ruin a club season and long term unless you have a big committed squad you have no chance of competing and better still enjoying your cricket and can possibly have bad affect or seconds moving up 8 standards in our case . I think theres only 4 clubs that even have remote chance of making or WANTING into premier Lurgan/Woodvale/Downpatrick/Muckamore AND GOOD LUCK to them . Im not being defeatest just realistic on what is best for my owns clubs future . Im sure Bangor enjoyed their excellent stint up there and Derriaghy but its what happens after and id be keen see how Carrick will want to go back up as the 8 team premier is getting tougher to even win couple of games .This is my own personal views and not a club but id ban professionals below premier, id also still employ a good coach for going schools and junior nights and look for NCU help with there various coaches maybe helping junior clubs and try . Also try upgrade the ground and facilities yearly and keep the beloved game of cricket moving forward.

ivan mccombe

United Kingdom

30th Jul 2012

Talk of clubs not being able to fulfil fixtures. Well Muckamore fielded four teams yesterday ( on a Sunday )and I cant remember the last time we had to scrap a fixture.
I think the secret for us is that we probably have more players aged 40 plus playing every week than any other club and we are pro active in getting games rearranged, because WE WANT to play. I think the NCU worked hard to make Junior cricket more appealing by reducing games to 40 overs, allowing 20 over re arrangements etc. Its now up to the clubs to get a few old hands back on the pitch.I might be 55 in a few weeks time ( actually I will be captaining our 2nds in the Ulster Plate final on my birthday and in the Intermediate Cup final the previous day) and I am loving every minute of every game but especially helping 14 year olds like Sam Gordon and Calum Weir develop when the opportunity arises.
The NCU have done their bit so now the clubs need to do their bit. Maybe a bit more recognition of Junior cricket would help.
I'm not sure about reducing Senior League One to 40 overs though. I think that clubs in that league should have Premier League ambitions. Maybe a rebranding as Premier League One and Premier League Two needs to happen.

M. Parks (VCC)

-

30th Jul 2012

Re: Jeff

Do clubs below Premier want 40 over cricket? I'm not sure less cricket is what cricketers want. It may be what people who aren't that fussed on cricket want... but surely a 1st XI at any club is made up of people who want to play cricket.

I also don't think one chance to rearrange is a good idea. The fewer voided fixtures we have the better. Nobody wants a league title, promotion or relegation decided on void fixtures.

Ken Sims

Holywood, Co Down

29th Jul 2012

To Peter :
May I say very well done for the many years of success you have brought to North Down CC.
I'm sure that Ryan and any subsequent 1st XI captains will benefit greatly from your support and years of valuable experience.

Jeff Maguire

OFF cut outfield with HAYFEVER .

29th Jul 2012

Right as someone who has playing 40 years im looking debate on 40 over cricket below PREMIER? id try it 1year then ask clubs what they prefer . no power plays 1 re arrangement with 5/6 weeks play it let clubs sort out on decent weather forecast ? premier clubs should be voting on what they want not all the clubs = bit radical but cant see how lowest clubs vote on what the biggest clubs want and need to be playing ? BY the way its just few ideas wether they silly or not any views?

BUMPERDALE

BELFAST

28th Jul 2012

Is it the end of an era in NCU cricket?
What a one sided cup final!
Are Instonians the new number one?
How influential is the great work being done by Dave Wilcox at Inst?
Can North Down bounce back?
It will be interesting to watch the rest of the seasons results!

Response

Think yesterday goes some way to answering your questions Bumper!

andy kennedy

guttery Buckna

28th Jul 2012

perhaps Matthew could explain why the "NCU" has to investigat why clubs are "dropping" teams. Surely the fault lies with the clubs "entering" too many teams in the first place!

C.Boomer

Home & it's still lashing outside !

28th Jul 2012

Ps, enjoy the rest of you're holiday Matthew and be careful not to get burned!

The sun can be bad for you !

(Or so they they tell me !)

C.Boomer

Home in between the heavy rain showers !

28th Jul 2012

Matthew, the N.C.U. can't do much about the bad weather we're all getting hammered by, pardon the cliche' but cricket & unceasing rain just don't mix!

I'm pretty certain that's the root cause of all this apathy you're referring too, very poor cricket weather last season, this year even worse ! And until 'normal' seasonal weather returns....

....We ALL could be in Trouble !

matthew

by the pool on holiday

27th Jul 2012

the ncu need to think long and hard during the winter with clubs folding clubs not getting teams out on a sat or sun i know talking to other captains how hard it is to get teams out below 1st eleven too many overs is the excuse 1sts 50ovrs 2nds 40ovs 3rd/4ths 30ovs people will want to play then or we will see a lot of clubs dropping one or even two teams from their leagues think about it soon or a lot of people will stop playing

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

26th Jul 2012

Sad news about Clogher, the bad weather has made a lot of players lose interest. Going to be tough for many clubs to fulfill fixtures over the coming weeks

M. Parks (VCC)

-

25th Jul 2012

Sorry to hear that Clogher have withdrawn from the league today.

I hope this is only a temporary measure and that they will be back next year!

We certainly don't need less fixtures. With PSNI and Clogher both withdrawing this year, and others struggling, I hope that we don't see these teams disappear.

BUMPERDALE

Maturnity Unit Dundonald

24th Jul 2012

Look out CIYMS 2nds as GRANDA BUMPER will be racing off the full run-up on Saturday to bag his first wicket as a Grandad!!
Wee grandson Bumper the third was born today!! HAPPY, HAPPY DAY!!

Neale Matthews

Disney - Too sunny. Too warm!

24th Jul 2012

RE: Graham Cup Final.

The game between Waringstown and North Down will take place at 1pm on Thursday 2nd August at Carrick. Come along and give the lads your support and see some of the finest young talents in the NCU.