Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

andy kennedy

balmy Buckna

4th Jul 2012

I have been out & about in cricket circles over the past couple of days and I am "amazed" by the reaction of many people who have told of their view that the the decision of the Emergency Committee is a nonsense - revisionism still alive & well in NCU circles. What really is the point of having an AGM?

jonathan lyttle

NIACUS

4th Jul 2012

IACUS have requested the details of scorers from all NCU clubs and as Secretary of NIACUS I am asking clubs to forward the following details to me.
Name of Scorer
Address
Telephone Numbers/email address
Level of qualification if any
Scorers or anyone wishing to score should note that NIACUS intends to organise a scoring seminar in early 2013 and that it would be beneficial for all scorers to attend. Further details will be made available by NIACUS.

Wylie McKinty

Work

4th Jul 2012

There are previous precedence's for postponing the Muckamore v Instonians semi final to another date. I did a trawl back through my emails from the last number of years and found references to the following:

In 2004 the NCU received requests from clubs with players in the Ireland squad to postpone their Challenge Cup fixtures. Bearing in mind its desire to support the Ireland team and also not wishing to disadvantage clubs in our own leading cup competition the decision was taken then to allow clubs to postpone Challenge Cup fixtures if they wished. This dispensation was not granted for league fixtures.

In 2008 Waringstown were all allowed to postpone a Challenge Cup second round match because they had three players in the Ireland squad and Instonians were allowed to postpone their Challenge Cup second round match because Andrew White was with the Ireland squad.

Also in 2008 the continuation of a Challenge Cup quarter final involving North Down and Instonians, which was due to resume on a Monday night, was put back to the following Thursday as Ryan Haire had been called up to the Ireland squad to play New Zealand and Scotland.

Now I wasn’t involved in the current decision made by the NCU but surely ANY club who have three players missing on Ireland duty would ask for a Challenge Cup match to be postponed?
Take the best three players from your club’s First XI and tell me that you would be happy to play the match.

Steven Crothers

Shaw's Bridge

4th Jul 2012

Gents, surely Muckamore would prefer to prove themselves against a full strength Inst XI?
Hopefully you will now have the opportunity to do so on the 15th July. No point playing in a final if you haven't beaten some of the top sides to get there and if you have no realisic chance of winning? Your single 50 overs victory was against an average Cliftonville side who are bottom of Section 1. You would probably chase 350+ against North Down on their home track, which wouldn't be much fun.With Waringstown out, Inst vs North Down is THE GAME.

haireryan@hotmail.com

Comber

4th Jul 2012

Trying to follow the posts below? Is this in ref to the other Senior Cup semi? Was the 3 player rule not scrapped? Also have played four club games in four days on numerous occasions whats the issue?

Michael Kennedy

Muckamore

4th Jul 2012

I have been informed that neither the chairman nor vice-chairman were at this meeting as both had declared an interest. So I retract my earlier comments.

Andy McCulloch

Moylena

4th Jul 2012

Games being called off due to international call-ups. In principle, I agree that a team should be able to postpone a league or cup game if they have players away on international duty, but where do we draw the line is it one, two or three players. However as it is not in the competition rules, I find it hard to see how it can be enforced. Only a few weeks ago we had the farce of the quarterfinal bowl outs, which the NCU stated the blame lay with the clubs as they had voted for bowl outs. Move on a couple of weeks and a game that has always had a reserve date of the 8th of July is postponed until the 15th July despite there being no rule to back up this decision, indeed I am led to believe that this rule was in fact removed at the request of the clubs some years ago. As I am getting towards the end of my playing career I want to play as much cricket as possible, however I would just like some consistency from the NCU as it appears from the outside that the powers that be are making the rules up as they go along.

andy kennedy

Buckna

3rd Jul 2012

I would have imagined that those members of the Emergency Committee whose clubs were involved would have declared an interest and abstained. But then again I had direct experience of a past Emergency Committee and a dispute between the now defunct Collegians & Ballymena. No prizes for guessing the way the ball bounced on that one.

Nile

Drizzley tpatrick

3rd Jul 2012

I understand why a club wants to put out its best players and morally it is the right thing if both teams are at full strength. But if the clubs have struck out the old 3 player rule from the ncu rule book after due process at an ncu agm then how can that very rule be resurrected by an "emergency" committee especially one with potential conflicts of interest among members (both parties)?
Now an ncu corporate governance issue.

Ivan Mccombe

Muckamore

3rd Jul 2012

Frank
The chairman and vice chairman surely couldn't have sat in on this one and as two of the directors would have a vested interest does that mean it was a two man committee.
I am sure the new p.r. Man will issue a statement to clarify this.

JK

Searching through the Ncu book for the common sense rules?

3rd Jul 2012

Re Challenge cup debacle.

Let's say this wrongful decision is upheld and just by chance it happens to rain on the 15th. Will this Emergency Committee as they are referred to make up another rule to suit the blazers and TELL Muckamore they MUST go to Shaws bridge for a game instead of a bowl out. Ps. Do emergency committees not function in case of an emergency after all these dates were set at the start of the season or am I missing something.

Michael Kennedy

Muckamore

3rd Jul 2012

The chairman and vice-chairman are both connected with the clubs concerned, so would have to declare an interest (I would have thought). The vice-chairman is also a director, so in effect this decision was made by a committee of 3 people. One of which is finance and sponsorhip, one forward planning, and the last competitions director. But thats assuming there were interests declared..............

Hardly good for the forward thinking of our union to apply a rule that has been defunct for so long!

And to think Lisburn got such condemnation for what they did a fortnight ago and they in effect only applied the current rules....who is the shame on now??

Frank Brannigan

Still drying

3rd Jul 2012

re Ivan Mc Combe

So it is an autocracy. It is in effect a sub-committee that can modify or re-interpret the competition rules without impunity. I'm sure there is some manner in which it may be appealed or else we have a dictatorship.

re Michael Kennedy

Have to agree with you Michael that this is a disgraceful decision that goes against the wishes of the majoriy who agreed at an AGM to drop the rule about fixtures being postponed when any player was on the Irish team. Can't blame Big Phil for this because he's just right to want his players available for coaching, practice or whatever in the days before.

The Emergency Committee consists of the Chairman, Vice-chairman and the four Directors. Would the full Board have agreed to this I wonder.

Ivan McCombe

Muckamore

3rd Jul 2012

Frank apparently it's part of the Management Board .

Michael Kennedy

Muckamore

3rd Jul 2012

I think this latest decision is a complete joke. Given the fixture backlog should we not be trying to get games played and not put back? Here we have 19 guys not getting a match because of 3 guys travelling to Dublin, (2 of which probably won't get into the starting 11) which starts a day after the match in question!

Was an 11am start considered? Given the travelling times to Dublin these guys could have been there by evening time.

Who sat on this emergency committee?