Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Frank Brannigan

Drying out in front of a seasonal log fire

3rd Jul 2012

re Ivan McCombe

22. (a) A club may appeal against any ruling of a sub-committee or official of the Union.

Is the Emergency Committee not a sub-committee? If not then we're dealing with an autocracy.

Ivan McCombe

Muckamore

3rd Jul 2012

No right of appeal to a decision by the Emergency Committee.

Frank Brannigan

Up to one's oxters in water

3rd Jul 2012

re Andy Kennedy

There was a rule that permitted this some years ago in the times when Cliftonville were at their pomp but this was withdrawn. However now that the Master Race are disadvantaged the Blazer Brigade have decided that it shouldn't have been repealed. The Emergency Committee seemingly have the power to override the wishes of the constituent clubs. There could of course be an appeal against this decision but I wouldn't see it getting too far. Old school tie still prevails and there are still senior clubs and junior clubs.

andy kennedy

Buckna

3rd Jul 2012

have had a good look at the playing regulations and I cannot find any rule that supports the decision of the Emergency Committee to defer the reserve date for the Challenge Cup semi-final. Perhaps someone could direct me to the relevant section. Also - was this the only reason put forward by Instonians or had an earlier plea, based on a different premise, been rejected?

Clarence Hiles

HQ

1st Jul 2012

Cricket Books available
I have a surplus stock of "A History of Senior Cricket In Ulster" which I would like to offer to clubs for sale as a fund-raiser. The books are available at a quid each to cover delivery costs and can be sold by the clubs throughout the season for whatever they like to members and friends. They were retailed at 18.95 in 2003 so even at a tenner they are good value. The offer is also open to schools that wish to raise funds for a project. Anyone interested can email me at clarence@caribbeanmortgages.com or call me at 91870155 within the next two weeks. Minimum order is eight.

andy kennedy

trying to stop Flossie getting water-logged

29th Jun 2012

Hiler - is there not an old maxim "never meet your idols"?!!

clarence hiles

Crossing the Atlantic

29th Jun 2012

Shucks Andy. I thought I was your boyhood idol!

andy kennedy

guttery Buckna

29th Jun 2012

re the Challenge Cup - my point was that the representatives of the clubs voted for the changes. To be pragmatic the days of sponsors such as Touche Ross are long gone (I recall a fantastic day at Downpatrick meeting my boyhood idol Colin Cowdrey)and I won't mention 1983! I have been away for a couple of weeks so I'm only picking up on what has been happening and I was interested to see on the other forum a posting that there was no-one working on the Lisburn ground to try to get things sorted out. Funny enough Ronnie McAlpine & I had a similar experience earlier this season and look how that was reported on the social networks and the media! I understand that the School's Cup final at Muckamore went ahead because of the efforts of the ground staff up there with a whole team on hand to help with covers etc. Hiler - I met Herbie at a recent Limavady rugby dinner and we were remembering that particular cup final! He still makes a major contribution to sport in that area. And Bumper - don't get me started about T/20 cricket!.

Clarence hiles

Warm, sunny and beautiful Bim

28th Jun 2012

Andy-three weeks is too long and half an hour for a bowl-out is too short and at the end of the day it is not a cricket math. Same as penalty shoot out at the Europeans. The difference there is that they need a result. We are not debating the One Day Final which has plenty of merit. The bowl-out has none.
As for Herbie, he once told me he never took a day's holiday to play cricket. Never! The Northern Bank was very supportive of cricket in those days or was it just North? Great guy Herbie-saw him last year at the Limavady-North Down match and he hasn't changed.

BUMPERDALE

Belfast

28th Jun 2012

Ok Andy lets take it the other way and dumb the Challenge Cup even further.
Lets make it a one day spectacular!
First round bowl out- 10:00-12:00
Second round bowl out- 12:30- 13:15
Quarters- 13:45- 14:15
LUNCH
Semis- 15:30-!6:00
Then wait for it a T20 FINAL. @ 16:45
THAT IS OF COURSE WEATHER PERMITTING OTHERWISE A BOWL OUT @ 18:00

Wylie McKinty

Work

28th Jun 2012

Taito:
The NCU meeting that took place last night was the regular monthly scheduled meeting of the Competitions Committee not an Emergency Committee.

taito

belfast

28th Jun 2012

jeff.. the ulster shield isnt run by the NCU.

Anyone know how the emergency meeting went last night?

andy kennedy

balmy Buckna

27th Jun 2012

re Neal & Bumper and the dumbing down of the Challenge Cup. I can clearly recall the AGM when the decision to reduce from 2 days to 1 day was taken. One of the points made was that it was easier to "sell" to a sponsor as a one-day event. And the representatives of the clubs voted for the change. I'm old enough to remember Herbie Parkhill talking about becoming almost a full-time cricketer by playing in a cup final that went on for about 3 weeks!!

jeff maguire

monsoon on the way

27th Jun 2012

RE ulster shield semi finals and this isnt a dig at the NCU but the semis this sun july first and if off its a bowl out yet the final isnt til august the fifth so really no excuse for dreaded bowl out until after all teams get at least a 20t played midweek surely some common sense cand be sorted too suit all four teams?

BUMPERDALE

Belfast

25th Jun 2012

Lisburn CC create cricketing history!!
Yes - all Waringstown supporters will be cheering on fierce rivals North Down for this week's semi-final game!
My friends in Waringstown fear not they will not let you down.
Unless it goes to a BOWL OUT!!!