Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Paul Stafford

home

28th Mar 2007

Ireland Test Cricket debate.

Nobody seriously believes Ireland are in a position to play test cricket right now, but the point is we would like some sort of way of protecting our ODI status and players and have a roadmap for the future. Test cricket is the pinnacle for any cricketer and noone would begrudge a player that opportunity. However it is slightly galling listening to the English media going on about overseas players in Ireland team when the best batsman in the ICC qualifiers who took us to the World cup is now in the English ranks. For Ireland to continue to develop we must create lots more players capable of reaching county level but even a few reaching Test or ODI level.It is England taking these players which will keep Ireland in the dark ages. The debate about Ireland playing test cricket is not about structures, finance or capabilities but about how we can create and keep our very best players to compete at the highest level.

Ryan McCarter

Armagh

26th Mar 2007

Agnew has really got on my nerves this last while, but if we can beat England on Friday it will be great to see his reaction. Going to be glued to the screen again, but have a football dinner to attend so might miss the best bit as Trent smacks Monty over long on to win the game!

Response

Judging by the state of his shoulder he will have to do it one handed!

Ryan McCarter

Armagh

26th Mar 2007

Great site, glad ive stumbled upon it.

Well Ireland in the Super 8s who would have thought it, what a performance against Pakistan, the much maligned bowling attack stepped up and simply blew away a talented batting line up then a sublime batting performance from O'Brien saw us home.

The game on Friday showed how difficult the future games are going to be as West Indies cruised home, really missed Trent I felt but who would rule out another shock this week against England. I for one will be glued to the Sky coverage and wil ldo my best to ignore the snide gibes from the commentators about Irelands adapted cricketers, maybe they should go look at the make up of their own sides

Response

Ryan: Belief is the key. The Ireland team seems to believe they belong at this level. That is the hardest thing to instill and in this regard the whole Ireland management team deserve the most enormous credit. I really hope they can continue to perform and if one of the teams have an off day we can record another victory. Sky TV was at it again at the weekend. 'Matthew Hayden's fastest World Cup hundred eclipsed another Australian John Davison playing for Canada.' The inference is the Associate nations are incapable of producing a decent cricketer of their own.

Jonatan Agnew's assertion that Ireland v Bangladesh is a travesty instead of India v Pakistan shows that the real battle ahead for World Cricket is those who want a closed shop and those who want to expand the game globally. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a shock in the Super 8s it was Ireland beating England. Would it be too much to ask they stop patronising us then? Windsor Park. Croke Park. Can we add Providence Stadium , Guyana to the list of venues that shut up the English?

taito

work

24th Mar 2007

yeah i would just like to echo the views of everyone, what an outstanding achievment in our first world cup to reach the super 8's. i have a feeling we can pull off one more big surprise , it would be nice if it could be england.

with regards local cricket on the other site a rumour started about bushey retiring from cricket i cant see that happening at all, he will be there every saturday im sure.

Paul Stafford - Forum Editor

Forum Editor

23rd Mar 2007

Ireland v West Indies

Bad luck tonight against WI. I thought the guys stuck at it well. Fielding was excellent again and well bowled Kyle and DLS. Didn't get enough runs to put them under any pressure.

I really like watching Niall O'Brien behind the stumps. He's a real live wireand not frightened to give the lads a rocket if needed. A 'fiery' character behind the stumps keeps everyone on their toes.

Things didn't go so well for Boyd Rankin tonight as he struggled against the in form Chanderpaul. He is still finding his feet at this level yet he has huge potential. I reckon with hard work he could do worse than model himself on Glenn McGrath. Boyd has a nice simple action and with a bit of help technically he could be a real star.

Could someone explain to me the point of Andrew White running in to bowl? He more often than not, runs in, then stops then delivers it from a stationary position. I presume this is to upset the batsmans rhythm but the only one it seems to be affecting is Whitey. I hope bowling a waist high full toss on leg stump and watching it sail out of the ground is a sufficient deterrent and he knocks it on the head.

Everyone is very proud of what the guys have achieved and hope they keep believing in their own ability. If they can reach near the top of their form from now to the end of the super 8 they should have nothing to fear. Keep going fellas you have done Irish cricket proud. The majority of club professionals who come to Ireland are Indian and Pakistani and for once the bragging rights are ours for the entire summer.

home

22nd Mar 2007

Well done to Ireland. It's unbelievable.
Tremendous opportunity to test themselves against all the best teams in the world. Obviously from a financial point of view as well the more wins the better. I also believe I am right in saying if Ireland can pick up just one more win we will get an official one day ranking in the main list. We've officially arrived at the top table of world cricket and I for one will be delighted not to have to answer the question again...'Do you play cricket in Ireland?'.

Peter Hughes

Burnham. Bucks.

21st Mar 2007

A "wee birdie" has just informed me that prior to the South Africans appearing at Ormeau, probably a year or two before, Keith Miller and some of his "Aussie" colleagues played there. He was bowled out, first ball and at once re-set the wicket because he stated later "many had come to watch me bat" Can this be confirmed by anyone, because I do recall the incident ?

Ryan Haire

T'internet

20th Mar 2007

Staffy,
These guys will be the start of a line of Irish future county players who will profess their ambitions to play county cricket..with our progress they will soon be able to play in the shamrock over 5 days..and as long as we keep benefiting from overseas players in the short term.. this is a possibility!

PETER HUGHES

Burnham

20th Mar 2007

I was daydreaming ! It was South Africa I watched in 1947 at Ormeau. Could have sworn it was Australia. I recall Ireland scored 32 and the visitors wore green caps and sweaters.

Webmaster

HQ

20th Mar 2007

If anyone would be interested in a week in Barbados for the Super 8's (Potential Ire v Aus/SA & Ire v Bang/Ind/Sri L) then please email info@theulstercricketer.com for more info.

Home

19th Mar 2007

I see Niall O'Brien has talked about becoming an England test player and Adrian Birrell has said Eoin Morgan has the ability to follow Ed Joyce to an England cap. I supported Ed's decision to play test cricket but I now am beginning to see the possibilities for Irish cricket. Why not? Would love these guys to reach their ambitions with Ireland rather than lose them. What are the thoughts of other readers out there?

Paul Stafford

Home

19th Mar 2007

There seems confusion over Irelands locality if they should qualify for the Super 8's. Is it Guyana or Barbados?

Response

Webmaster:

Staffy, assuming the West Indies qualify, the other team that progresses from Group D will play 3 matches in Guyana, then move on and play 2 in Barbados and play their final match in Grenada

Peter Hughes

Burnham. Bucks.

19th Mar 2007

Can anyone recall the Australians playing at Ormeau sometime between 1946-1949 or have I been day dreaming ?

Bumperdale

Belfast

17th Mar 2007

Paul,
I agree on paper Instonians should push the big two. First two games are Waringstown and NorthDown both away. R.McCann, A.White,J.Shannon, R.West, J. Stevenson, S. Wells, E. Moleon-that's some top seven.Eight points from first two games and the belief will be there! Maybe a big 4 league don't forget the mighty Derriaghy!!
Billy Dale.

Paul Stafford

Lurgan

16th Mar 2007

I don't think Downpatrick will struggle I just think they won't challenge unless they get some new blood. I think Instonians will push the big two, and not just because Whitey's back. I feel Regan was strangely off colour last year and they have a top man in John Stevenson as Captain. If their young players like Rory McCann and James Shannon keep improving and perhaps if Neil Carson plays more this year I honestly feel they could win the league.