Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Brian

Belfast

26th Jun 2007

Could one of the selectors please tell Big Phil that David Kennedy hasn't retired form international cricket! What more must the guy do to get a call-up?

Villager

The Village

26th Jun 2007

Shame we didn't see Gary Kidd in action at the weekend but his time will surely come...

NCU Follower

Work

26th Jun 2007

I hope they don't play the Twenty20 final on the wicket they used at Shaw's Bridge on Saturday!

Villager

The Village

22nd Jun 2007

Good luck to Gary Kidd this weekend. What a great chance to stake a claim for a regular place, playing against some of the best batsmen in the world.

We’re not Brazil

Belfast

22nd Jun 2007

What about a representative Northern Ireland cricket team to offer our top players exposure at a higher level. There are some good players out there and they aren’t all in the Irish frame or U23 for that matter. I’m sure a tour could be organised, part financed by the players, unions etc that would give these guys good exposure and increase their chance of making it to the full Ireland team. Come on The Ulster Cricketer, lead the way!

Worried North-Wester

Co Tyrone

22nd Jun 2007

Is it just me or our we burying our heads in the sand re the all NCU Ulster Cup semi-finals? I understand the stance with the Irish Cup given the southern hemisphere domination but surely we need to at least keep pace with our Ulster rivals! The results in this competition have in my opinion been more disappointing than the ISC…

North Down Supporter

work

20th Jun 2007

Paul Hatton - I truly wish you had introduced yourself to our support- i really do. N.Down did not play well on saturday, id say that was about 60% of our normal standard. Having Ryan Haire suspended - who should be in the Ireland squad by the way and then his da being suspended also didnt help but on the day Phoenix won hands down - though i dont think they will progress to much further to be fair.
P.S Phoenix Park has gone way down standard wise from previously. Not a very enticing place to play cricket.

Irish Supporter

Dublin

19th Jun 2007

All good points Clarence as I'm sure you are more in touch with Indies cricket than most.
I'm just going on soundbites from Clive Lloyd, Brian Lara, Sir Viv on TV recently that there has been politics (i.e. in selection) in the past and I believe has contributed to Windies downfall. Also lots of others factors as you mention.
Just trying to make the comparison that Irish cricket will go backwards if there is similar politics creep in.

Clarence Hiles

Barbados

19th Jun 2007

Not sure that I agree with Irish supporter that politics has wrecked West Indies cricket. It is a mighty subject but for starters consider player power, players' greed, lack of fitness, bad relations between the board and the players, no relations between the selectors and the players, a great player but a poor captain in Brian Lara, no other worthy captain available, players indiscipline, no Academy, no full-time players contracts, growing apathy throughout the Caribbean region, low crowds, no blueprint for a better tomorrow.
All that without even mentioning politics!

Paul Hatton

Dublin

19th Jun 2007

Ok you guys I'm not going to crow but here we are again in the Irish Senior Cup and all the northern bigwigs are gone. Derriaghy won't go much farther so take it on the chin because there's going to be another Leinster winner this season again. I went to the Park on Saturday and although Phoenix won a very important toss they had plenty to spare over North Down, weather conditions or not. Back to the drawing board boys!

Irish Supporter

Ireland

17th Jun 2007

Re. selection debate:

The last thing Irish cricket needs is politics in selection. That is one of the factors that has led to the West Indies demise.

Irish Supporter

Ireland

17th Jun 2007

What Ireland desperately needs is to start producing 'quick' quick bowlers.
Who are the top fast bowlers or young prospects coming through in Ireland???
Gill, McDarby???

Irish Supporter

Ireland

17th Jun 2007

The Northern provinces are producing excellent young cricketers i.e. Porterfield, Boyd, Gary Wilson, Gary Kidd, etc. Many other Northern players also in U23 squads in '06 and '07 and A Team in EurAsia comp. in 06. It shouldn't be a competition to see which province can heve more Irish players. People should stop arguing and be more positive.

Dee McAdams

Home

12th Jun 2007

Well Said William. He probably wants Molins in for Porty and a good southern spinner in for Kyle!

William O

Work

12th Jun 2007

Paul Hatton, you really don’t know when to stop. What do you have to say about the recall of Dom Joyce to the Ireland team, I suppose you think that’s great as well?!