Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Happy North-Wester

Over the Glenshane

19th Sep 2007

The boys in Leinster must have been listening to the NCU guys for too long – I see they have turned into a bunch of whingers as well! Grounds, weather, points, appeals, committee decisions… maybe Mr Hatton has a comment to make on this one?!

Phillip McMillan

Belfast

18th Sep 2007

I’m not so sure that any of the ‘transfer’ rumours noted on the site have any validity. Why would the top clubs want to change their personnel? They need major changes to challenge in the ISC and don’t need any to continue to be at the top in the NCU!

Dee

Work

18th Sep 2007

I think the idea in the NCU Development Plan of 1 vote per club at the AGM makes a lot of sense. The Union should be totally democratic and just because a club enters a lot of teams, it shouldn’t entitle them to more votes when the decision making comes around.

Michael Patterson

Lisburn

14th Sep 2007

But would they pay him?

mark wallace

glengormley

14th Sep 2007

a white to waringstown, as he has just bought a house in maralin which is 5 mins from the lawn and is best mates with kyle.

Jimmy

work

14th Sep 2007

J Bushe to retire
N.Jones to CI
E.Thompson to North Down

Nick

work

12th Sep 2007

B.Adams to CI
I.Carser to Muckamore
W.Price to Waringstown
A.Waite to North Down

Anyone heard these?

Response

Ed's Response:
Definitely haven’t heard these!

Harry

Belfast

11th Sep 2007

If I had a magic wand I'd...
Make Paul Stafford NCU chairman
Allow pros to play in all cups
Ask Ivan McCombe to set up an Ulster league
Send Ivan Anderson to Comber to present the league trophy
Double the 'wages' and empower the umpires
Make Neil Hunter NCU vice chairman
Appoint Robin Haire NCU president
Ban the Leinster clubs in the Irish cup

Brian

Belfast

11th Sep 2007

West to CIYMS
Jones to CIYMS
White to North Down
Haire to Downpatrick
Anyone else hear these?

Phillip

Belfast

11th Sep 2007

Interesting feature on the site regarding the umpiring situation. I heard a rumour that at least half a dozen umpires in the NCU had refused to stand in games involving Instonians, anyone know if there is any truth in this?
I wonder if that will apply to CIYMS next year then…

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

11th Sep 2007

Michael
Apologies if I gave any impression of valuing my opinion more than anyone elses. Personal opinions are exactly that and are of equal value to those that hold them. It's airing them that gets us thinking and without such debates the status quo would remain for ever. I personally think the Ulster League can only be kickstarted by a lucrative sponsorship deal. Maybe an 8 team Sunday league or something. I don't know but surely soon we have to try something. Looking at the NCU it is difficult to see where any real challenge to the Big Two is going to come from in the next 3 years. That's not a recipe to get people watching cricket.

Clarence Hiles

Barbados

10th Sep 2007

Well done Instonians!
Your season started and finished with a bang and while there were a few interesting moments in between, it's great to finish on a high. Local cricket badly needs another team challenging the Big Two and let's hope this is the platform for future success.
Well done John and maybe we'll get a few drinks from you guys at the NCU dinner!

bumperdale

belfast

10th Sep 2007

I am pleased to discover that Peter Connell has dismissed some REAL BATSMEN with his slower ball. Your photo shows me bewildered and bowled by his proto-type last June.
I feel tempted to call it a day for playing premier cricket after Inst's incredible win against the best team in the land or am I just depressed after such a miserably wet summer.
Fitting that N.Down should do the double to celebrate 150 great years!!!

Michael Patterson

Lisburn

10th Sep 2007

Ivan I hope you're not suggesting that because you watch some North West cricket your opinion is the only one that counts.
There's nothing wrong with golden oldies still playing but you seem to put the North West ones on a pedestal. All were good cricketers in they day but recently they have been big fish in small ponds AND small grounds, occasionally at the same time. Next pick for Ireland is irrelevant as that has little to do with overall standards and isolating one umpire hardly makes North West cricket any better. Does the worst umpire make that union the worst for cricket?
As for Waringstown starting with ten men on Friday this was their choice to GET their strongest team out as they accommodated Kyle McCallen's late arrival. Also Waringstown has won many league championships in September down the years when cricket in both unions was much stronger.
Right now two teams compete for the title in the NCU and probably four in the North West. The solution is obvious but NCU clubs don't live as close to the Glenshane as you do and aren't interested in an Ulster League.

ivan mc combe

muckamore

9th Sep 2007

Michael
First question.How many games have you seen in both unions over the past 5 years.?Surely the golden oldies as you describe them are also still performing in the NCU.I see Uel Graham scored 98 yesterday,Ryan Eagleson 100,Garfield Harrison,Colin Magowan,Neil Doak have proved that even after years away from the game they can still perform in our top section.I'm not convinced the young talent is about in either union,but would wager that the next new Northener to win a full cap is as likely to come from the NW as the NCU.As I see it the four in contention will be Rankin,Dougherty,Stirling and Hall.I think if you check with the NCU umpires they have the highest regard for there NW counterparts and Ireland's leading umpire Charlie McElwee is from the NW.This paranoia about finishing in August is it better to play vital league games on a Friday of 32 overs where one of the teams fields with 10 men ? However you arrive at it though I think few would argue that in North Down and Brigade we got the deserving champions of 2007.