Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Nile Smith

Muckamore

5th Jan 2008

Although I never got further than the Quarter Finals I always regarded the ISC as a special competition and it would be neglectful if it was allowed to disappear. Firstly it is an important benchmark for development of cricketers. In the absence of any inter-pros, these matches give the club players (who may have missed out on the excellent ICU youth systems) a great chance to gauge their abilities against pros or international players.
Secondly, the crack was mighty and it was always a great day out. The first round draw always stood out in the fixture list. Passing/meeting other NCU teams on the way down, visiting new grounds and accepting fantastic hospitality gratefully in Dublin or NW.
Let's not hear any more nonsensical talk about ending this competition.

paul hatton

Dublin

3rd Jan 2008

Stevo we want the competition. And as for a 'day in the sun' it's years since we had an NCU winner. I'd love to see more north v south finals as that's what the Irish Cup is really all about but outside North Down and Waringstown there's not much on offer. As for the North-West they talk a better game than they play and they seem to spend the winter on the internet spreading gossip and making ridiculous predictions. I'm not expecting much from them unless the pro is allowed to bat at both ends.

Stevo

Co Down

3rd Jan 2008

Re Paul Hatton

..or should we call you Ricky with those knock-out punches of yours regarding the dominance of the south in the ISC ! By the way Paul enjoy your "dayin the sun" as history would tell us the homegrown strentgth of Irish cricket lies in the "North". What goes around comes around!

michael patterson

Lisburn

2nd Jan 2008

Mighty big wish list Clarence but it might be easier to get a dry summer than the other nine wishes. Like the pros in the senior cup and agree the cup is turning into a non event with only a few teams in contention. But will the NCU Agm vote them in?
I doubt it.

paul hatton

Dublin

29th Dec 2007

Happy New Year
Seems like all your correspondents have gone AWOL over Christmas. Not much happening here either but Happy New Year to all the cricketers in the north and maybe now with the pros back in the Irish Sernior Cup you'll put up a better show. At least there shouldn't be any excuses in 2008!

clarence Hiles

Barbados

20th Dec 2007

Yes Ivan I certainly missed Adrian and the Goodrich family as they were very talented, especially Adrian. Our generation too! I agree with everything you say about him. Both Mark Gleghorne and Timmy Cockram are in Chile right now with the Ireland hockey team and since Steven my son is manager I'm kept up to date with their hockey achievements more so than their cricket prowess.
But the question remains why have the dual sportsmen gone?
Happy Christmas big man.

Mark

Belfast

19th Dec 2007

Come on Stevo Inst did OK last year. They beat the 'Big Two" and won the Ulster Cup. What's all this about age anyway, does it matter to anyone what age a cricketer is if he's good enough? Was Billy Dale keeping a young player out of the team or was he simply better than them?
On your NCU question it will help because we'll have another team that might beat Waringstown and North Down and that's got to be good for everyone.

ivan mc combe

Muckamore

19th Dec 2007

One notable ommission by Clarence in his article on dual sportsman was Adrian Goodrich. A talented outhalf who played and captained Ulster and sat on the bench for Ireland. Many feel that at any time other than that Ward / Campbell era and he would have been an Ireland regular. He was also a regular on the Ulster Country team as a hard hitting left handed bat and superb fielder . That side featured Dermont Monteith, Ivan Anderson and Michael Reith among others. I think he may have been 12th man for Ireland. I think he would make the "best uncapped XI ". He captained Irish and Ulster schools at both sports as well as Ballymena. A true sporting giant and a great bloke as well. His brothers Alex and John also played senior rugby for Ulster as well as senior cricket. Alex at Ballymena and John at Ballymena and Muckamore.
Of the younger generation Mark Gleghorne who has about 75 senior hockey caps despite being only 23 year old played as a wicketkeeper/batsman for Ireland Under 17's .As a 16 year old he scored 85 in a Senior One game for Muckamore v Harlequins.

Response

Thanks for these Ivan, keep them coming.

Stevo

Down

19th Dec 2007

Re Mark

Your right on one point ..if he does bat and bowl like he can CSNZ will indeed have a great season..not so sure how their youth will also prosper (watching brief only) in his presence. And for the NCU ? what has that got to do with it ? Ask the INST youngsters !

clarence Hiles

Barbados

19th Dec 2007

Hey lighten up Michael. I've just read Staffy's Blog and it's very entertaining and well thought out. I like your football version too but are you sure football is any better off than cricket these days?
All that apart, I'm posting to wish everyone a happy Christmas from the Ulster Cricketer and a great cricket season in 2008. Keep the emails coming as they shorten the winter.

michael patterson

Lisburn

19th Dec 2007

Just watched Staffy's Blog on the other 'channel' and he's definitely in dreamland now! Interesting board or was it 'bored' game as he packed in all his old gripes and frustrations. Fun to read 'though.
Is there a football version? Nothing in the North-West worth including and only Linfield and the Glens down here. For Lurgan substitute Glenavon and there you have it. Could be a money spinner that could give you the funds to lure Regan West, Taimur Khan, Andrew White, Derek Heasley and co to Pollock Park? Can you imagine what a strong 'coaching' team that would be and how the youngsters would really tear 2nd and 3rd eleven cricket apart? Now you've got me dreaming!

michael patterson

Lisburn

18th Dec 2007

Congratulations to Brian Milford on being appointed the new NCU general secretary. Some people might see it as an 'inside' appointment but with his experience that's exactly what was needed.
Good luck Brian, you'll need it.

Mark

Belfast

18th Dec 2007

Stevo, if Regan West bats and bowls for the majority of the season CSN will have a great season, the NCU will have a great season and the CSN youth players will have a great season. First and foremost he's a good cricketer so whether he's paid or not paid is irrelevant. It is nearly 2008. We live in an era of professionalism and time doesn't go back

Stevo

Down

18th Dec 2007

No big issue.

Just don't think that Regan will help develop the youngsters (will he not bowl and bat for the majority of their games and stifle the chances of the youngsters). Those who know him may agree. He is really a hired gun and CSNI are employing him to win or challenge for the title so why not admit that singularly ?

Mark

Belfast

17th Dec 2007

What's Steven Wilson on about?
Is Civil Service North not allowed to recruit like all the other clubs or should they be the only club to bring on young players and get hammered for their efforts. I'm not a CSN member but I admire them for moving with the times and looking after themselves instead of all these two faced website contribtutors who want to dictate to everyone.
If they aren't breaking the rules what's your beef?