Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Paul Stafford

Waringstown

24th Jan 2008

Clarence, I was very pleasantly surprised to read your article regarding player payments and indeed having the courage to talk figures in what is generally a murky world. I hope that someone of your standing will make some people stop and listen to what you have to say without the usual vitriol that comes in my direction when I try to say, albeit not as eloquently, the same thing.

Stevo

S Down

24th Jan 2008

RE 2008 Movements ?

Has the forum any more on the players "on the move ?". With new and not so new pros (of all shapes and forms)a plenty, do we have any genuine locals on the move ?

clarence hiles

Barbados

22nd Jan 2008

Congratulations to Roy Torrens and Brian Walsh on their Belfast Telegraph Sports Awards. It's tough for cricket to compete with majority sports in this type of arena so it makes the awards all the more satisfying not just for these two seasoned old stagers but cricket in general.
Well done guys. Cricket is proud of you.

taito

work

21st Jan 2008

i dont know anything about any other clubs, but unless something has happened without me knowing there is no exodus from downpatrick, we will have the same old faces there this year

Stevo

S Down

18th Jan 2008

Re Michael.

Not too sure about North Down...know that is South Down movements are being muted ! A D Ptrick exodus on the cards as money talks...Saintfield strengthen as do Dundrum ! NDCC stronger ? maybe some forumites know better ?

michael patterson

Lisburn

18th Jan 2008

Stevo, you have your ear to the ground so what's the story at North Down? Rumour has it there may be other players on the move. If so there might be an opening for Staffy without him having to go to Muckamore, Ballymena and Larne!
Mind you North Down will still have a good team in 2008 but how good?

clarence hiles

Barbados

17th Jan 2008

Ivan, I don't think your suggestion that clubs should make public their 'development officer' coaching schedules will get anywhere as you are entering into the realms of employment law and I'm not even sure that you believe it would lead to transparency. At the end of the day the smart clubs are already policing their coaching programs and those that aren't won't get any short or long term benefits. I agree with recent correspondents who say it is their own business and every club has the right to make their own call.
Interesting question - How many trophies won since 1979 (the return of the pros) can be identified as hired gun successes? I assume the success of hired guns is measured in trophies?

Mark

Belfast

14th Jan 2008

Well said Michael. I think you have hit the nail on the head with your comment as most of the anti-pro brigade are only looking out for themselves. Wayne Horwood laid it out very clearly and very fairly on the other channel. Let's get down to cricket and stop telling other clubs how to run their business!

michael patterson

Lisburn

12th Jan 2008

Too much mystery and innuendo in there for me Stevo.
What about everybody looking after their own affairs and putting their best team on the field without a bunch of "interferers' telling them what's best for cricket when what they're really saying is what's best for them?

stevo

Down

11th Jan 2008

Re Mark.

It will be good to see a wide open title race this year..I feel that as most clubs have at least two "hired guns" there may be a few disgruntled locals around ! Will the big clubs decide to spend like the "pretenders" in the league in '08?

michael patterson

Lisburn

8th Jan 2008

Mark you are starting to talk like a North Wester. Sign a few players and months before the season starts you are beating everybody. CSN and CI will have to earn their spurs on the field before they can earn the right to be up there with the Big Two. Another couple of challengers would be good for NCU cricket but haven't we heard all this before on the forum?
I think the relegation dogfight will make the season much better with two teams going down. Also think section two will be much better with Lurgan and Downpatrick in there fighting to get back up.

mark

Belfast

7th Jan 2008

Waringstown players on the move? Dalzell gone from North Down and David Kennedy yet to commit for 2008 gives hope for the East Belfast Phoenix but will it be CSNZ or CIYMS that emerges as the star from the East? One thing that is certain it's not going to be the same old two-team talk that we've had for the past few years.

paul hatton

Dublin

7th Jan 2008

You're right Nile. It has a lot of potential but even in Dublin we're getting bored with all Leinster finals. I visited Muckamore once and it is a lovely wee ground. I'm sure players would never play at some grounds if it wasn't for the Irish Senior Cup so there's a lot of good outside winning and losing.

Sam Magill

Ards

6th Jan 2008

Just read some of the articles in the Ulster Cricketer archive. In particular, the "other McBrine" article written in 1994 made me laugh. Roy McBrine mentions a decline in sportmanship, lack of North West players in the Ireland team, professionals having too big an influence, and setting up an Ulster or all Ireland league. Change, what change!

brendan

Derry

6th Jan 2008

Paul, I hope the 2008 Irish Cup is dominated by teams from the north. We've listened to plenty of bumming and blowing from you guys over the past five years but if you go back to 1982 when it started you'll see who has really dominated the competition. Watch out for Glendermott and big Dazzler and maybe come September you won't have to ask who he is!