Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Wayne Horwood

Work

28th Jul 2008

Tim - Bertie got 7 stumpings in the innings against Dunmurry in 1997. I am not sure if there were any catches. I think Brian Millar took quite a few of Michael McCord in a game a few years ago including a hat trick?

Tim Browne

Belfast

28th Jul 2008

Bertie Styles, the Queen's University wicketkeeper had 7 (or 8 Hiler?) stumpings against Dunmurry in Section 3 in 1997. Any more than 3 in the one innings is amazing, you would think that the next man in would try to ensure that he didn't leave his ground in light of what had just gone before. Didn't happen that way in that match!

mark

Belfast

28th Jul 2008

Is six stumpings by Peter Shields in an innings a record in Irish cricket?
Can't imagine anyone bettering it?

andy kennedy

not Ballymena

27th Jul 2008

was listening to BBC5 Live's buildup to the 20/20 final on my way back from Larne yesterday and there were comments about Pattinson, Peitersen and players switching counties at the end of contract, etc. It got me thinking about the status of "Kolpack players". I was wondering about the legal standing of the NCU rules on "overseas" players when set against the European ruling. As a layman I have no direct but I'm surprised that with the amount of money sloshing around some clubs, no-one has mounted any challenge. Has anyone any thoughts?

jeff maguire

of too Muckamore &hope beer chilled

26th Jul 2008

hope that the forecast is good as they predict very hot next week. few tips just for VANBURN .NAP ROARING FORTE.eway KINGS APOSTLE. cant back duke maralade at odds on so eway lucarno & macarthur 20 1 might just shock his stable mate.WILCAT WIZARD. good luck.ps hope not too see a lot of a TOP CLASS BATSMAN KEMETAR at moylena

r mcalpine

dundrum

26th Jul 2008

my baldy barnett was scalded last week in the blazing summer sun. but maybe ballykinler missed it pat

Pat

BallyKinlar

25th Jul 2008

Ronnie - are you umpiring in Barbados?

Where's the summer sun lazing that you refer to?

Nonetheless your poetic piece has brightened up this lousy place of work!

mark

Belfast

25th Jul 2008

Has Strydom lost the plot?
Three runs in 21 balls against Norway isn't in the script. He's putting all the pressure on Gary Wilson.
Hit out or get out. This match is about winning convincingly not grinding out a result.
Great updates on the other channel for us that can't make it.

rodney

playing cricket on a beach in tenerife

25th Jul 2008

see you haven´t lost your touch ronnie. i´m such much appreciated by everyone.

Brendan

Derry

24th Jul 2008

So Strabane it is James. And there's nothing wrong with their wicket. It's an honour for the club and I'm sure the North West fans will make it a big day and fully support Donemana. Hopefully there'll be a good support from North County and maybe a few from the NCU area.

James

Belfast

24th Jul 2008

Strabane - reports are that the pitches haven't been very good at the new ground?
I would have thought that for the ISC Final the best playing surface available would have been the number 1 priority...

Mark

Belfast

24th Jul 2008

Congratulations to Civil Service North on reaching the senior cup final. What I'd like to know is how the members view this achievement. Is it the second final for the new club or another notch for the old North of Ireland club?
What way will historians record the modern achievements? Just curious.

Brendan

Derry

24th Jul 2008

Is the venue for the Irish Cup final a secret?

r.mcalpine

DUNDRUM

23rd Jul 2008

wee poem
A PERFECT DAY

AS I PULL ON MY COAT AND PANAMA HAT
I THINK OF WIDES, NO BALLS AND HOWZAT
I'LL ASK MY COLLEAGUE "WHICH END DO YOU PREFER?"
"YOU BE BILLY BOWDEN AND I'LL BE DARYL HAIRE"

"FIVE MINUTES LADS, WE'RE ON OUR WAY TO THE MIDDLE"
I HAVE BAILS AND COUNTERS AND DO I NEED
A JIMMY RIDDLE?
THE SUMMER SUN BLAZES ON A GLORIOUS DAY
COUNT FIELDERS,GIVE GUARD AND ANNOUNCE TIME FOR PLAY

THE BOWLER RUSHES IN, IT'S DOWN THE LEG SIDE
"HOWZAT!" FROM THE SLIPS."SORRY LADS THAT'S A WIDE"
I WONDER WHO'LL WIN, WILL THE PRO GET A TON?
PERHAPS I'LL SEE A HATRICK BEFORE THIS ONE'S DONE

BUT IN NO TIME AT ALL IT'S THE END OF THE GAME
NO HATRICKS NOR TONS AND ALL PRETTY TAME
AS THE LOSERS HANG THEIR HEADS THE VICTORIOUS CHEER
THEN ALL BACK TO THE PAVILION AND A NICE COLD BEER.............PERFECT!!

ronnie mcalpine

dundrum

22nd Jul 2008

i would like to thank billy pollock for his comments on umpires, it is good to know we are appreciated for giving up our free time so players aren't put under the pressure of giving their mates out, while umpiring their own games. and yes you're right we do enjoy our job. there is no better place to watch a game than from directly behind the bowlers arm. i only started this year and have a new found respect for the guys i once gave little thought to. there is a great comradeship in our ranks and a special feeling being part of such an institution. don't know your age billy but i firmly believe your never too old.....give it a go.