Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

robin haire

comber

23rd Oct 2008

re. james belfast

couldn,t agree with you more james, the 20 over replays will be the best way for some clubs to get a victory so expect a lot of 50 over match 1 games postponed with some club grounds clearly not up to senior standard after one days rain.
your earlier question "can players not be bothered anymore" was answered at the end of this season when some clubs had to play 3rd 4th eleven players on their first team.
i get the distinct feeling that some clubs dont want to play competitive cricket.
heres hoping for a hot 2009 and no mickey mouse league matches.

Ryan McMaster

Ballyclare

23rd Oct 2008

I agree with Rodneys comments and I am disappointed that the new structure will not come into effect after 2009. I feel sorry for Andy Clement and his development team - they went to a lot of bother to see if the Clubs & CAPTAINS would be interested in such a change. I wonder how many senior captains were representing their clubs, rather than "club suits" as they are called.
However, I think if this is proposed again in future, it will be carried - just a shame as each year is one wasted. People have to realise that, with the climate as it is now, there are not going to be enough dry Saturdays to play X cup and 18 league fixtures.

Bruce Topping

Laurelvale

23rd Oct 2008

Disappointing but predictable votes last night.

I would echo Rodney's sentiments about the league structure. Laurelvale could well have ended up in a lower league but I would have voted for the change.

What is going to be done about section 4 now ?

I am also disappointed that replays will be sorted out over 20 overs. It really does take away from a proper 50 over league.

taito

work

23rd Oct 2008

a few interesting ones from the AGM. Am i right in saying you can play a pro in the cup if you are playing agaianst a club in the same section as yourself? So a section 2 side cannot play their pro against a section 1 side?

And although i would say some of the top sides might disagree with the match two games being 20 overs but i personally think its a great idea and you could find a lot of guys being more committed and not missing as many games if they realise that its a forty over game rather than 100. Certaintly if we get a great summer it might seem a bit odd playing a 20 over a side game on a sunny day where a 50 over game could have been played.

interesting times

James

Belfast

23rd Oct 2008

Rodney
I’m surprised the league restructure was defeated but as far as increasing the standard is concerned, I must say I’m gob smacked that Instonians proposal to play 20 over replays in Senior Cricket got passed at the NCU AGM last night.
Do we not already have a 20 over competition?
It is a sad indictment of our cricket that Senior League cricket matches will be decided in this fashion, without even trying to play the standard 50 over replay.
Can players not be bothered anymore?
Did the ‘Premier League’ clubs vote in favour of this?

Response

Ed: Couldn't agree more!

Rodney Hassard

Work.

23rd Oct 2008

Interesting to see the league restructure was defeated last night at the AGM. As a result I believe the standard of the NCU will not improve any time soon. It would be interesting to see the stats on who of the 36 voted against it - did they vote against it because it would negate their position in the leagues? Personally, even if our club was in a position where the change had a negative affect on us, I would still vote for it because it's the only way the standard of the union will improve - the best teams playing each other every week. Again it would be interesting to see how many voted against it based on their own position as a club rather than thinking about the overall picture of cricket not just in the NCU but also in Ireland.

Your thoughts?

Gary Smyth

Belfast

22nd Oct 2008

I heard on the grapevine that Downpatrick are "courting" the two Boultwood brothers who moved to CIYMS last year. From the outside looking in, it would seem to be a strange move for them, with CI blooding them slowly into the Premier League and the two brothers playing roughly half CI's 1st XI fixtures. They are young lads earning their spurs and CI have given them the opportunity and both seem capable of becoming permanent fixtures at the highest level over the next few years...

Tommy Stewart

nursin' the baby...........

19th Oct 2008

First time on here and just thought i'd have a go at my own section 2 team of the year. Some very interesting selections from some of you!! Where is my name on your lists??? Well here goes

1. D.Kennedy
2. T.Stewart (gotta get me in there!)
3. S.Sharkey
4. R.Owens
5. J.Kennedy
6. S.Johnston
7. G.Ferguson
8. A.Kirkpatrick (WK)
9. M.Glass
10.L.Connor
11.I.Cleland

What you think lads?? I think statistically this season that would be a very strong team to beat. Lee Connor was on top form this season as were most of the batting line up. I went for Kirkpatrick behind the stumps purely because i saw him bat and keep first hand when we played down there and he helped win the match for them. Let me know what you think!!

RJS

Lazing on my sofa

19th Oct 2008

from what ive seen in section 2 this year,id like to throw a few names forward for the section 2 team of the year. Saintfields Tommy Stewart for being a very solid an consistant number 1 batsman, lee connor of Dundrum arguably the best bowler in section 2 this season and joel maguire also of dundrum had a good season with the ball. Ian Cleland of Woodvale would always be in my team. Happy arguing guys.

Gareth McCarter

The Mall

18th Oct 2008

Lot of good "older" players in the league, be interesting to see how that team would do against an under 25 team from the league say.

Bruce Topping

Laurelvale

18th Oct 2008

Good team Craig.

It would be interesting to have an old section 2 team (over 35s) v young section 2 team match next season (under 35s).

I would be happy to bet on that one !

Craig Irwin

Lurgan

18th Oct 2008

Intersting seeing some of the selections for Section 2 XI. At the risk of offending those that have not weathered well I have comprised an XI of lets say more Senior players to contest the selections cast so far.

C McCrum (Laurelvale)
R Owens (Saintfield)
G Ferguson (Downpatrick)
C Irwin (Lurgan)
W Pearson (Laurelvale)
N Nelson (Laurelvale)
B Topping wkt (Laurelvale)
L Allen (Muckamore)
M Glass (Ballymena)
N Maguire (Dundrum)
M Shannon (Holywood)

Lets have belief in the older boys and yes I picked myself and to bat at number 4! What a team photo this would be.A good rub down with several masseuses and a good lubrication of Deep Heat and we will take on any opposition on a Saturday as long as we can book Monday off work!

Burnsy

Portadown

17th Oct 2008

2008 - team of the year sect 2

1.sharkey
2.baguley
3.d.kennedy
4.j.kennedy
5.kirkpatrick
6.mccormick
7.johnston
8.mullan
9.taylor
10.glass
11.shannon

taito

work

16th Oct 2008

section 2 team:

some interesting teams out there:

1. D Kennedy
2. S Sharkey
3. R Owens (just because you just joined our hockey club dickie)
4. J Kennedy
5. A. Kirkpatrick
6. P.Mccormick
7. D. Mullan
8. M. Taylor
9. I. Cleland
10. M Glass
11. L Connor

Quite a hard choice as not too many had an outstanding season stats wise.

Stand out batsman was DK without a doubt, and big Lee certaintly had a great season with the ball. Acouple of all rounders in there in dale and fluter who probably both would have liked to have scored more runs to go with their wickets.

Rodney Hassard

Work

16th Oct 2008

Interesting to see the old team of the year debate started again. I have to say I find it unbelievable that Lee Connor hasn't made it in to anybodys side yet. Leading wicket taker in section 2 by a country mile he is without doubt the best opening bowler in the section. Saying that everyone is entitled to their own opinions and perhaps some of the better players didnt have great games against some opposition. It would be interesting to see the final stats for the section as I dont believe they are all on yet.

Anyway, from personal experience my team of the year would be:

1) D Kennedy
2) S Johnston
3) S Sharkey
4) J Kennedy
5) B Dunlop
6) A Kirkpatrick
7) J Maguire
8) A Bassett
9) M Taylor
10) M Glass
11) Lee Connor