Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

stuart hegarty

cookstown

23rd May 2011

andy,

8 min per over per team...ie 4 min per over.
i would have thought the D/L rule was universal for all tems in all leagues. why should we do things differently.

with regard to your other points i would agree that there has to be a uniformity of playing regulations, and i think instruction needs to come from CI.

Vic Johns

A hurricane's blowin outside my house !

23rd May 2011

Alot of red tape there Andy, probably easier just to tell them 'to get a move on' when they're behind the eight ball!

Great to see Morgan in the English test side for this Thursday and if the weather allows, maybe a first win for Ireland against Pakistan on home soil down at Stormont would be on all everyones wish list this Saturday.

Good-luck men ! (piles of home-grown talent on parade and coming through)!!

andy kennedy

seance on a wet afternoon

23rd May 2011

second Saturday with rain meant that I had time to contemplate the vagaries of the various "rules" regarding play in NCU.(i)League games in May & June start 1:00 p.m. - cup games start 12:00.(ii) in interrupted games 1 over is lost, in the 1st innings for every 8 minutes after 30 minutes yet where there is no interruption teams are expected to to bowl 50 overs in 190 minutes - an average of under 4 minutes. (iii) also there is a time limit for teams to bowl their overs BKISC but there is no penalty for breach. (iv) is 15 minutes not too long to have a revised D/L printout made available.

taito

work

18th May 2011

Anyone looking for a game to watch, CSNI v Downpatrick twenty 20 tonight Wednesday 18th, 6 o clock start at Stormont..... i think. (well i hope i got the start time right since im playing)

stuart hegarty

cookstown

12th May 2011

new laws

i was surprised at one of the new laws brought in this year with regard to a bowler practicing his bowling. i have witnessed first hand bowlers practicing and umpires threatening a 5 run penaly if they do it again. but is this really the case???
i have read the relevant section of the laws and it states;

"If the umpires together agree that the deterioration in the condition of the ball is greater than is consistent with the use it has received, they shall consider that there has been a contravention of this Law."
With the threat of a 5 run penalty at no point did i see the umpire inspect the condition of the ball.
With the lush outfields of Ireland, is the condition of a ball really going to change?
I fail to see how the umpires are going to agree that the condition of the ball has changed, which is what has to happen for a 5 run penaly to occur.

Maybe i am reading this wrong and wud appreciate if someone cud explain this.

Jeff Maguire

Dundrum

11th May 2011

Dundrum Cricket Club Golf Classic at Downpatrick Golf Course Friday 27th May tee off times 130 til 445 . ANYONE interested contact Jeff 07730334479/02843751442

Martin Ingram

Knock Exchange

9th May 2011

Junior League 3
I see there was runs galore in the Academy 2nds Vs Armagh 2nds game on Saturday.
Academy got 364-2 in 40 overs! Armagh returned with 299 - not too often you score almost 300 and lose!
Does anyone know what ground this was on?

Jim

Longshoot hotel nuneaton

9th May 2011

Re - Temporary professionals.

Dave, is it maybe because these clubs have so little faith in their own players that they have to resort to temporary pros??

Craig McKinley

lurgan

9th May 2011

dave

as a person that isnt really in favour of professionals in general being in the ncu i would totally agree with u

Dave

Work

8th May 2011

Any thoughts on these temporarily professionals? I can't believe the NCU can allow clubs to sign overseas players for one/two matches. e.g CIYMS sign guy from Pakistan for 2 matches over the Saturday, Monday and Instonians sign guy for one match against Waringstown. Can teams not go one or two matches without a professional until their original one arrives?

Graeme Hunter

Lurgan

6th May 2011

As Chairman of Lurgan CC, I agree that it was disappointing that we couldn't field a 2nd XI last Saturday. However, I expect this to be a blip. With Easter being late, we had a number of players away on holiday as well as others still playing other sports/working etc - we had 25 players unavailable for one reason or another.
This Saturday, we still have some players away but are easily in a position to field 3 teams - in fact, we can't get all our younger players a game.
Derek Heasley has made a major impact so far and we expect this to continue. This is initially seen as a 3 year project and I am fully confident our club will be in a much stronger position at the end of this period.

andy kennedy

sunny Buckna

6th May 2011

can't really agree with David about the "penalty" runs at Waringstown - the time limit has been increased to 190 minutes and the captains are usually kept abreast of the time every completed hour - so clearly the problems didn't lie with the umpires. On the question of not getting teams out - surely its up to the clubs, at the fixture meetings, to take these matters into account - or am I missing something/

David Scott

Belfast

6th May 2011

Re non fulfilled fixtures.

I believe that all clubs struggle at this time of year with young cricketers who play football for example finishing off important matches/cup finals etc at that sport. With the football season increasingly extending their season this will always be the case. Lurgan lions etc youth structures are to be envied and I believe are in a good position for that club. I expect that the non fulfilling of fixtures is a blip at this time of year.
Maybe next year the Junior cricket at clubs effected by this syndrome should put off planning fixtures until the first week in May.

Ards CC

Londonderry Park

6th May 2011

Sorry Paul, yet again in this forum some misinterpretation means that we must re-emphasise that Roy Young is NOT associated with Ards CC.

It is however disappointing for the game that Lurgan II, Cliftonville II, Carrick IV were unable to fulfill fixtures this early in the season.

Roy Young at Newtownards

Home

5th May 2011

Paul,

Perhaps you are right - time will tell ! Theres no doubt your old club were certainly on the wrong end of some severe beatings last year ! I wish them well in their quest to regain former glories.