Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Paul McCrum

Austin Texas

5th May 2011

Roy,

Maybe that's why Lurgan CC created the role in the 1st place - proud history which they hope to reclaim - they have a fabulous man & cricketer in Derek - let's hope he gets the support both he and the Club deserve - let's give it some time remembering "Rome wasn't built in a day".........
Moving forward it's great to see Lurgan CC like Ards CC have a plan which i fully admire!

Roy Young at Newtownards

Work

5th May 2011

Interesting to see that Lurgan were unable to field both a 2nd and 3rd eleven to fulfil last weekends league fixtures ! A very sorry state of affairs for a club who have just employed a Director of Coaching !!!

NW Selector

Glenshane

5th May 2011

The NW is not exactly in great shape at present but with that all said i think we should have a few players involved in the North vs South game who will add to what should be a strong team.

1-Neil Russell
2-Niall McDonnell
3-Ryan Haire
4-Andrew White
5-Stephen Clarke
6-Nigel Jones
7-Rory McCann
8-Ben McCord
9-Johnny Thompson
10-Eugene Moleon
11-Peter Connell

Northern Selector

north

5th May 2011

Surely if we are working on the basis that this should represent the best v the best, then several of the mentioned younger players have some way to go before being included in such a lineup.

For what its worth here is my lineup to actually beat the South, rather than getting mauled by them:

1. N McDonnell
2. N Russell
3. R Haire
4. A White
5. N Jones
6. C Dougherty
7. R McCann
8. B McCord
9. G Thompson
10. E Moleon
11. PC Connell
12 L Nelson

David

Home

4th May 2011

CI man.

Apparently the umpires stopped their watches every time the ball was lost and they were still overtime. Still quite unfair considering the score! Great knock from a potentially legendary player!

ivan mccombe

Moylena in the sun

4th May 2011

Picking the North team isn't easy and depending on the guidelines could be even more difficult. I see Decker's in one of the selections and if that's the criteria I wouldn't argue but in the same breath based on 2010 form Stephen Smyth and Peter Gillespie would be in the reckoning. Other names missing of the selections include Andrew Britton and Phil Eaglestone while younger players such as Chris Dougherty, Stuart Thompson, James Hall, Jason Van De Merwe and James Shannon must have their supporters close to the Irish set up.

If it's the knack of "how to win " the younger guys want to pick up then you need the McBrine twins in there. What a performance again on Saturday at Strabane. Certainly puts paid to ther myth that they can only do it on the smaller grounds these days.

This certainly has the makings of a very competitive fixture and if the weather holds up and the crowds come out will be a great warm up to the games v Pakistan at the end of the month.

PS. Maybe I should say ( before Andy Kennedy or someone else does ) that my team is 17th out of 18 in the Muckamore Fantasy League at the moment so maybe selecting isn't my forte

David

Work

4th May 2011

North team :

1. N. McDonnell
2. R. McCann (wk)
3. M. Taiaroa (Irish passport?)
4. L. Nelson
5. N. Jones (c)
6. B. McCord (Irish passport?)
7. A. McBrine
8. R. Ervine (Irish passport?)
9. J. Thompson
10. P. Connell
11. S. Dunn

Armchair Selector

Sofa

4th May 2011

My Northern team for up coming regional game...

1-Niall McDonnell (Strabane)
2-Neil Russell (North Down)
3-Ryan Haire (North Down)
4-Andrew White (Instonians)
5-Nigel Jones (CSN)
6-Lee Nelson (Waringstown)
7-Rory McCann (Instonians)
8-Johnny Thompson (Brigade)
9-Ben McCord (CIYMS)
10-Eugene Moleon (Instonians)
11-Peter Connell (CIYMS)

BP

Lisburn

3rd May 2011

1 N McDonnell
2 R McCann
3 R Haire
4 A White
5 D Curry
6 K McCallan
7 T Khan
8 N Jones
9 J Thompson
10 E Moleon
11 P Connell

ivan mccombe

North / Northern Ireland

3rd May 2011

I don't think a format that brings two teams of international or potential internationals at one of the best grounds to watch cricket ( Eglinton ) will need much marketing. I for one am looking forward to a highly competitive game with a chance for some guys to push for a place in the full Ireland side in the months ahead.I can't see what difference it will make giving the teams another identity.

James

Belfast

3rd May 2011

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, the doomed format of Inter Regional cricket has been revived - what prat came up with that idea?
Have they not realized that this fixture will only work with an identity for the teams?
North v South is nonsense, it will certainly need the marketing department to be in good form!
What about Leinster v Ulster, LCU v NCU v NWCU, some sort of district/county championship or dare I say it, Northern Ireland v Republic!!!
Please, please, something to give a bit of interest...

taito

work

3rd May 2011

what a knock from pienaar, pity i didnt see it, hopefully waringstown dont lose him for any SA squads.

On a similar note saintfied's pro's knock against us on saturday was one of the best i have seen in a long time, he looks like a serious player, he will destroy some attacks in that league this season.

CI Man

Belmont

2nd May 2011

Just like to say what a pleasure it was to witness a truly outstanding knock of 244 from Obus Pienaar today at The Lawn. Although the result didnt go our way, it is great to see such a talented young cricketer in the NCU. I wouldn't bet against on him getting another double hundred this season.

PS still finding it hard to believe that CI were penalised for a slow over rate considering Obus cleared the boundary on 22 occasions!

Davy McD VCC

Catching my breath after watching that batting

2nd May 2011

If anyone gets the chance to watch Waringstown in the near future, take it. I have just nipped home after watching an innings that I dont think I will EVER see equaled, 244 of 114 deliveries, an an awesome display of batting with shots all round the ground by Obus Pienaar and against a more than decent bowling attack.
If you get the chance to watch him, take it.

andy kennedy

sunny Buckna

2nd May 2011

not sure about global warming at Larne - was in bed all day yesterday with pleurisy! A good day - Bobby's tea up to the usual standard and over 400 runs scored on a good pitch. I predict that bowlers will have to work for wickets at Sandy Bay