Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Gaz

Work

13th Jun 2013

100% in agreement with Jeff and 40 over cricket and i hear it from other players every week. No guarantee that it would stop the current player drain but it certainly cxouldn't hurt and would make life much easier for all current players. I would guess (without any evidence) that even in the Premier League many players would be happy with this. Teams getting home from away matches after 9pm on a Sat night and then maybe again on the Sunday has just become ridiculous. And aside from the whole time issue, I also agree with Jeff that it could actually produce better games and the Ulster Cup / Shield would back this up.

jeff maguire

gettting old and grumpy.

13th Jun 2013

WATCHED what I consider A FARCE last night at under 13 game and this is not a dig at CSNI as any club can abuse this inc Dundrum as you are allowed below first team cricket to drop 9 players out to the boundary get the dangerman of strike then bring them ALL IN NEXT BALL surely we must teach our juniors the proper way to play cricket and improve the standards ( I watched the same in a second team game few weeks ago and it is sole destroying for the game of cricket ) I spoke Ryan Haire this morning and he also agrees so I will be proposing at NCU AGM as it would take 5 mins to put circles out and it would benefit all who plays . On the plus side seen THREE outstanding under 13 players last night for CSNI Morrow & Mcgonangle and Dundrums Andrew Foster 64 not out and his 42 last night was worth far more .And the best catch ive seen at junior cricket by Dundrums Conor Moag that had all the home support clapping in amazement. Good luck CSNI juniors in rest cup.

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

12th Jun 2013

R.E 40 overs

It is inevitable all 1st XI leagues below Premier will become 40 overs before long, the day is just too long for guys with family/work commitments.

Cricket Ireland tells us the game is thriving and growing, not in the NCU from what I can see.

taito

belfast

12th Jun 2013

Jeff, Based on what i have seen this season so far you boys will be fine, you wont be relegated as your bowling attack is pretty strong. I dont think 40 overs in our league would be a good option as its already a huge jump from section 1 to PL at the minute, if teams got used to playing 40 over games they could struggle to bat 50 overs if they were to go up to the PL.

M. Parks (VCC)

Lord's

12th Jun 2013

And what exactly is wrong with "test match pace" as its called? Since when did protecting your wicket, playing your way in, and waiting on scoring opportunities become a bad thing?

We played Portadown on Saturday, and they're opening bat was in all sorts of trouble for 8 overs or more, but kept his cool, managed to stay in, and went on to score 66. Probably an innings which won the match. In a 30 over game, that wouldn't have been rewarded.

Cricket isn't all about who can slog the first ball of their innings and get a streaky score....

Peter Shepherd

Templepatrick CC marketing department

11th Jun 2013

Templepatrick Cricket Club are hosting its annual golf day at the Hilton Hotel Templepatrick. Friday 28th June. Tee times are available from 1:30pm contact Peter Shepherd on 07762132191 or via marleting&templepatrickcc.co.uk to book. £25 per person ( for your round of golf, including bacon burrows prior to your round of golf and BBQ afterwards)

Paddy P.

Belmont

11th Jun 2013

I agree with Jeff Maguire, but would go further. 35 overs forces you to think about scoring shots every ball and not fall back into "test match" pace (note: real test match pace probably higher than "test match" pace found in NCU).

I would even have the option for 30 overs.

jeff maguire

40 overs below PREMIER

11th Jun 2013

massive thank you to all at St Johnstone cc who were superb hosts on sun and good luck for the rest of the season.
Would like DEBATE from all clubs below PREMIER as in my opinion time for 40 OVER LEAGUE games as cricket need change with times its a game ive played 41 years but if was starting now id last ten years maximum as its getting harder to get players play 100 overs on sat throw in sun games and nets equals players missing out on family and loved ones quality time after being away at work all week
CRICKET will continue to lose players and teams at all levels if we don't ?
MY PROPOSAL is to try 40 league games below premier for ONE YEAR if clubs don't think it works every bit as good REVERT BACK (id say scores be 90% same )and before tayto says we will be relegated i dont care what section we play in its about the clubs and players im tryn to help as i fear for the future

Jason Maxwell

Millpark

10th Jun 2013

Massive hard luck and well done to our 2nds (Millpark) they travelled to their cup match on Saturday with 9 men actually only 8 men for the first hour as they waited for a guy from work on losing the toss and being told to field (yes with 8 men) they conceded over 300 runs when they bowled but this didn’t deter them as they themselves with 9 men at this stage hit just over 250 runs in reply what a effort with 3 of the 9 players under 15 years old and a couple the wrong side of 50 I thought this was a great effort and showed the spirit within the 2nd XI

george

office

9th Jun 2013

Ireland v Australia a starts next friday does this mean no saturday cricket on the bottom pitch can anyone clarify this

andy kennedy

crete

8th Jun 2013

Some big scores today - reading the local paper in rythmnon - has the lisburn score! Interesting performances all round.

davy mcd VCC

getting the factor 30 ready for tomorrow

7th Jun 2013

I think it is safe to say Dundrum should win this weekend

Clarence Hiles

HQ

7th Jun 2013

Agreed Andy and well done Queen's University CC on winning the Irish Universities title. It would be great to see them back in Saturday NCU cricket and the union should open up discussions to try and make it happen.

Andy Clement

Unfortunately at Work !

6th Jun 2013

Congrats to the Northern Knights who've just wrapped up a 3 wicket win in their 3 day match against the NW Warriors - Great effort by all those involved.

Stevie Max

Dundrum

5th Jun 2013

re Peter Hawthorne,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments about our club. We hope you enjoyed your visit to Dundrum.