Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

Dean Ferris

lisburn

21st Jul 2013

In response to another dig at derriaghy. The top 5 all got double figures yesterday with 2 half centuries for craig and andy plus 5 wickets for kenny gilliand.

Not our fault with wickets in hand yogi took an extreme liking to the bowling.

Stuart Hughes

Relegation threatened Derriaghy

21st Jul 2013

Billy Dobbin who are you and what club are you associated with? It seems you've quite the obsession with Yogesh.

As I mentioned earlier his registration was within the guidelines provided by the NCU. As for keeping us up by himself I've never really heard a more nonsensical statement. I think we've proven over the past years that we are more than capable to stay in section one on our own merit as was proven when we had a below par pro last year. I don't quite know what your issue is but Id be happy to discuss whatever your problem is face to face and not while we are both hiding behind a computer.

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

21st Jul 2013

I see the Derriaghy pro made a decent contribution this weekend again... might be fun to watch for the fans but what good does it do cricket? Derriaghy are going to be kept up solely by his performances.

Surely there has be be a better system of approving pros for what league they play in?

Response

I think the NCU have a solid vetting system but the odd one is always going to slip through the net, or maybe he is just in the form of his life!

Ryan McCarter

The Mall

19th Jul 2013

Well done to Millpark on their Twenty20 Shield success v Ards.

andy kennedy

Costa Buckna

19th Jul 2013

I have been reflecting about the sort of deals that the pros had back in the 1980s with perks such as sponsored cars. I was reminded of this last week when I saw a pro heading of on his "transport". The saddle looked a bit low and he was pedalling like mad!!

Peter Hawthorne

Sunny Ballycarry

16th Jul 2013

Think the argument about pros is simple. People complain about them if theirs is rubbish but love them if theirs is great. In County Cricket and the IPL, you pay for players who change and win you games. Same as any sport. The coaching they do is regularly invaluable and their ability helps coach both the players at the club they play for and their opponents who have to raise their game when they play them.

jeff maguire

7 PUNE pros in NCU =hard working indians =value for money

16th Jul 2013

re billy , first of ill only deal with Dundrum cc we started getting a pro 5 years ago we now have under 11/13/15 teams and the pro coaches in 6 primary schools he coaches 4 night a week summer schemes 121 daily sessions = slave labour (he deserves double what we can afford) and he deserves commended on what he does for our club that is thriving because of his dedication last year he came at short notice scored just 215 in ten games and didn't do himself justice but Rahi Kakade worked hard on fitness and is a very dangerous attacking batsman and I for one even if pros were banned would still bring over a coach to continue the conveyor belt of kids to cricket and Dundrum cc as make sure that this fine club will be here for another century no matter what section we play in

Stuart Hughes

The Derriaghy side of Lisburn

15th Jul 2013

Andy was good to see that. Carried on well into the night I might add.

Billy quite simply these players all meet the criteria set down by the NCU who have approved their registration. Yogesh has won us two games. We've also won 3 other games where he hasn't top scored. So that dispels your one man team idea. He's also a wicketkeeper so hard to take wickets standing behind the stumps. As for what we gain from it. That's not really any of your business. We identified the type of overseas Ayer we wanted to bring in and got him. He does sterling work with our youth and has helped to develop the 7 enthusiastic qualified coaches we have. Anything else you'd like to know?

Ps there really is no such thing as a one man team, definitely not at Queensway anyway

Wayne Horwood

enjoying the north coast

15th Jul 2013

Re interested.
CSN had a free hit, I think Jonesy was balled and the ball went for 4. The umpires said dead ball, no run. Doing a quick google check this is not correct and should have been 4 but the website is a Q&A site and caveats itself.

andy kennedy

buckna

14th Jul 2013

Had my faith in local cricket restored today. Derriaghy and Woodvale players enjoying a few beers in the back room at Queensway together - and slaggjng the c##p out of each other -just like the old days Clarence

Billy Dobbin

Lisburn

14th Jul 2013

Pros- bizarre stats looking at the professionals of Derriaghy, Donacloney and Dundrum. How are these players approved for action at that level. We are told there is no such thing as a one man team but this trio come pretty close! What do these clubs really get out of it is what I ask?

Interested

Northern Ireland

9th Jul 2013

CSN-v- The Hills.
During CSN innings a front foot no ball was called. Bowler then bowled "free hit" ball which batsman struck and ball went to boundary, striking the other stumps on the way. Umpire appeared to give a "dead ball" signal to the scorers. Sitting on boundary it was difficult to appreciate what happened. No runs appeared to be added to scoreboard total.

Any comments?

andy kennedy

Costa Buckna

9th Jul 2013

best wishes to Davy Menaul as he finally gets around to marriage on Thursday. I tried to talk sense to him at the weekend - showed him grey hair, bank statements, etc. - but he seems determined to go through with it!! Seriously though - all the very best from Flossie and I - a true sporting gentle giant.

Nile smith

Blue sky thnk zone

9th Jul 2013

Bumperdale / alan. It would be great if ncu or cricket ireland could organise a 20/20 or quickcricket in falls park.

Alan McIlwaine

United Kingdom

8th Jul 2013

My Dad played for Falls Road Methodist, home ground Falls Park. They won the Shields Memorial Cup in 1945 playing (can't recall) at Sirocco's ground.
It you have a couple of days I'm sure he could talk you through it!