The selectors have named Gary Wilson of Surrey as the wicket-keeper to replace Niall O’ Brien, who is required by his county, Northants.
Still missing are opening bowler Boyd Rankin, and batsman Eoin Morgan, who haven’t been released by either Derbyshire or Middlesex.
Ireland ’s new overseas signing, Nantie Hayward, will join up with the squad at Taunton. The former South African Test player will open the bowling in the absence of Rankin.
Irelandcoach Phil Simmons said of the selection, "The players weren’t at their best last week, which could be put down to mental tiredness following a hectic few months. I expect them to be much sharper this weekend, and will be looking for improvement. It won’t be easy facing Somerset and Hampshire, but the arrival of Hayward will give us a boost. I’ve heard good reports about Gary Wilson, and he has a great opportunity to stake a regular place in the team”
Stephen Kirkpatrick, Head of Retail Banking, Bank of Ireland NI, said, "This has been a fantastic few months for Irish cricket, and as official team sponsor, Bank of Ireland is proud to be associated with the team. We wish them success in the Friends Provident Trophy this weekend."
The squad in full is as follows:
· Trent Johnston (23) (Railway Union) Captain
· Andre Botha (21) (North County)
· Jeremy Bray (03)(Eglinton)
· Kenny Carroll (26) (Railway Union)
· Peter Gillespie (05) (Strabane)
· Nantie Hayward (Overseas)
· David Langford-Smith (76) (Phoenix)
· John Mooney (10) (North County)
· Kyle Mc Callan (07) (Waringstown)
· Kevin O' Brien (22) (Railway Union)
· William Porterfield (34) (Donemana)
· Andrew White (12) (Instonians)
· Gary Wilson (Surrey)
The games both begin at 10:45 am.