Rankin, who took four wickets in his comeback County Championship match against Essex last week, hasn't played since the World Cup game with Sri Lanka in April 2007, Adrian Birrell's last game in charge.
The giant fast bowler will be available for the ODI's on Sunday and Monday, but misses the 3rd game on Wednesday.
Skipper William Porterfield and Gary Wilson have been released by their county for all of the games, but Niall O'Brien is only there for the first, while Eoin Morgan misses all three.
Coach Phil Simmons has named a squad of 14 for the games, and if the weather relents, Kyle McCallan will win his 200th cap for Ireland if he plays on Sunday and Monday.
The squad in full is as follows:
- William Porterfield (Captain) (Gloucestershire)
- Andre Botha (North County)
- Peter Connell (North Down)
- Alex Cusack (Clontarf)
- Gary Kidd (Waringstown)
- Kyle McCallan (Waringstown)
- Kevin O'Brien (Railway Union)
- Niall O'Brien (Northamptonshire) - Sunday only
- Andrew Poynter (Clontarf)
- Boyd Rankin (Warwickshire) - Sunday and Monday
- Paul Stirling (Cliftonville)
- Reinhardt Strydom (North County)
- Andrew White (Instonians)
- Gary Wilson (Surrey)
The games are all to be played at Stormont, on Sunday August 24, Monday August 25, and Wednesday August 27.
Ticket Prices –Carnegie Cup,Irelandv Kenya– Aug 2008