Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

taito

considering doing jeff's tips

11th Apr 2008

jeff, dont be getting carried away , that is like saying you are going to stop gambling to pay for your pro sorry player/coach. or maybe thats why you are gambling your winnings paying his wages

jeff maguire

away 2 beat the bookies.lol

11th Apr 2008

tips. nap COLLECTION.240donc.NB GREAT KNIGHT.720 wolv.eway COMMANDER KEV220 ascot. wonder what price CHANDERPAUL was too hit 6&4 too win the game n the last 2 balls againest SRI LANKA.re TAITO, now that you have signed ex TEST PLAYER you want too give me more than 3 1? some one said you off the DRINK too pay for him ¬ lose BET HOME&AWAY.LOL

taito

still in work

10th Apr 2008

just to add to fergy's comments david johnson is an ex indian test player , all be it two tests quite a while a go, opening bowler and bats a bit by all accounts. He has been around for some time and comes highly recommended by jak, we will see what he is like though like all new pro's who knows how they will do. Apparently was quicker than srinath in his day but he is no spring chicken now but i would say he will be sharp enough for section 2 still.

Rodney Hassard

Dundrum

10th Apr 2008

Fergy, who has he played for, what age is he and what does he do? Predictions for the league could change based on this!

mark jones

bangor

10th Apr 2008

Ive came up with a few predictions for section 1 so here goes;

section 1 winners; Waringstown - They have tremendous strength in depth this year and new fast bowler cheater is a very welcome addition (im sure rodney will agree having played against him in section 3) He's new zealand born, big strapping lad and will more than hold his own! I Expect the young opening duo in Nelson(17) and Hall(19) to improve again whilst gary kidd is back all year not to mention a certain mr McCallan and the evervesent Ijaz Ahmed. middle and lower middle order looks very strong in bushe,harrison,hanna,scott,cousins,s kidd,k morrison, i morrison competion for places will prove the differnce between them and north down who will terribly miss kennedy,russel and dalzell.

Relegation this year i think will be easy to predict: derriaghy have lost their south african influences along with neil gill and the hole left vacant by those mentioned will be far too big. CIYMS im afraid haven't recruited what they needed to redruit to be in the slightest way competitive in any shape or form.

Fergy

in the office

10th Apr 2008

Can confirm Downpatrick are gettin a pro, an Indian called David Johnson (not a common Indian name). He is a friend of Jac's!!

taito

work

9th Apr 2008

rodney, yeah barry being back is a big plus, experienced bowler who will strengthen our attack no doubt. With regards a pro there is nothing confirmed.

Rodney Hassard

Work

9th Apr 2008

I hear that Downpatrick have opted for a pro. Would this be as a result of them realising that section 2 will not be as easy as they think? Also hear that Barry Gilliland has come back to them so they will have strengthened however I have never seen Gilliland play so don't know how good he is. Taito what do you think?

We also might have someone coming in to strengthen our side. A decent wicketkeeper and top 6 bat however I'll let you know more when he is registered!

Apart from that I dont think there is anymore transfer rumours.

Was at the Duckworth lewis session last night, is pretty tricky and time consuming to ensure everything is done by the book. What do other clubs think?

taito

work

9th Apr 2008

jeff: yeah mr gilliland is back with us, very good signing and im sure he will do very well, player/coach is just rumours at this stage.

Danny

Belfast

8th Apr 2008

Gareth
Jeff would appear to be keeping a low profile after tipping Black Alpachi for the grand national - only for it to fall at the first fence!

No more transfer rumours in the NCU or has the transfer window closed!

jeff maguire

back home

8th Apr 2008

re gareth,was away at aintree for weekend&wouldnt tipped the winner, but had top weekend, if ivan mcombe is suppling SUNBEDS 2 the scouse LADIES he would be MILLIONAIRE. had gud time with some cracking winners on betfair (honest jon 39 1,caroles legacy 46 1,big bucks in running was 38 1 (madness as was 2nd fav)&7 other winners!so might book for chester b4 wife finds STASH. TAITO, hear my old mate BARRY GILLIAND HAS signed&hear u getting a PLAYER/COACH? not long now but hard 2 get motivated till gets bit warmer, think no games untill ist sat in may make every team play 1 2night game or sunday as trying 2 start in april is NOT FAIR ON GROUNDSMEN.?

Gareth McCarter

The frosty Mall

6th Apr 2008

Has this forum closed?? I was relying on it for Grand National tips! Had to go pin-sticking instead, landed on Comply or Die.

Snow in April wouldn't make the chances of cricket look too good.

michael patterson

Lisburn

30th Mar 2008

Thanks Vanburn. Fine side and from all accounts very social, perhaps too social on occasions! Also I recall you had Jacko, Stumper, Sledgehammer, Louey, and Commander. I think North had the best range of nicknames by far but Beastie is challenging you. I'm sure you played against him!

jeff maguire

tips

30th Mar 2008

anyone interested in wee bet 2day,OPEN SEASON kempton 415.curragh 430 indian pace (elstala bridge the danger), downpatrick killyglen 415&shilan thyne 550. good luck.

vanburn

Belfast

29th Mar 2008

Michael Patterson
Michael Pattersons posting of 27 March triggered something with me!
Throughout the 80's we at NICC had a full team who were known by nickname only and not their real name. It was so prevelent that on the field nobody was called by their own given name. Sunday Life even published an article on it! Amongst others we had Snapper (David Napier), Tardelli (Mark Napier), Lord Beaverbrook (Charlie Beverland),Peter Perfect (Peter Law), The Badger (David "Doc" Johnston), Growler (Simon Corlett), Cantankorous Bill(Billy Kirk),Ebenezer (Jonathan Hool) and Vanburn (David Heaney). It was par for the course for our Captain throughout most of the 80's(Herbie Parkhill, aka the "Field Marshall")to call bowling changes which the watching press could not understand!
Also:
Bilko is Philip Billingsley (aka "The Botanic Bugle"), former Captain of NICC who played during the 60's, 70's and 80's. A class act who never get a cap for Ireland, real talent was creation of nicknames and provision of gossip (not necessarily cricket).
The Growler is Simon Corlett, nickname obvious if you played with or against him, and probably Ireland's best ever medium/fast bowler.
The Goat is Ivan Anderson - in amateur days probably Ireland's best ever all rounder .
Don't know who "the Beastie" is although I can think of several candidates! Libel legislation prevents me from going further on this.