Forum

Please click here to leave a message.

The Ulster Cricketer reserves the right not to publish submissions written under pseudonyms or which make gratuitous personal attacks.

William

Work

9th Aug 2011

Re- Matthew

The only thing I can suggest is that the respective league secretary records "complaints" and then perhaps gets involved if a trend developes with a club in particular - however the NCU are that spineless that I doubt anything like that would happen.

When I was a schoolboy 25 years ago it was as bad then - I'm now back down at my club and nothing has changed.
Like you, I am gobsmacked at times

There are some clubs out there, (who shall remain nameless) everyone knows who they are, that are more akin to a football Club than a Cricket Club

Roll on the football season - and maybe they'll disapear for a while

matthew

annoyed at home

9th Aug 2011

how do we stop the blatant cheating in games with no umpires win the toss umpire second the game i played in on saturday had at least 4 decisions not given people will stop playing there is no enjoyment and some sharp words have been exchanged between players

taito

stirring

9th Aug 2011

Jeff, very quiet ahead of the big derby this weekend? Surely you boys must have the favourites tag now after the season you have been having and our recent form... should be a real good game, always a bit of spice as its a derby, plus we owe you one from earlier in the year and we really could do with a win. Whats your thoughts?

Davy McD VCC

looking forward to the end of the season for once

8th Aug 2011

I think that we should scrap the 21 day rule, especially when we are having sides play their last game in the middle of August after playing four or more T20 games due to the ridiculous 21 day re-arrangement rule.

Andy McCrea

Templepatrick CC

8th Aug 2011

Ivan,

RE - Your questions.

My answers are very similar To Neil Cahill's.

1. How many overs do players in each section want to play ? 50
2. Does everyone accept DL should be in all Senior crickets meaning more results are obtained on the day and less rearrangements ? Duckworth Lewis should apply
3. How many matches and therefore teams in leagues do people want to play?
A manageable amount, DL would help so keen to give 18 matches a try.
4. Do people want ANY midweek rearrangements and if so one night or two ? Only as a last resort and preferablly still start as 50 overs a side for 1st XI
5. How many Sunday's per season is acceptable to have to play a game ? As many as is required under the rearrangement rules
6. Should cup games be Sunday only ? Yes
7. What time do people want the game to FINISH at ? start at 12 and apply DL during July & Aug
8. Do players want a T20 competition as well as the League and the recognized cup competitions ? Not at the expense of the league

Bruce Topping

Donaghcloney

8th Aug 2011

Of course flexible fixtures would only operate in first half of season !

Bruce Topping

Donaghcloney

8th Aug 2011

Various posters have mentioned fixture congestion due to bad weather as a reason for reducing league sizes. I was thinking about when I enjoy my cricket most - for me it is 50 over cricket played on a hot, sunny, dry day on Saturday or Sunday. I believe we could be more flexible with our fixtures given that the weather forecasts are so much more accurate these days. My suggestion therefore is that we designate every weekend from mid June to Mid August as "potential double header weekends" for those clubs who play on Sundays. A normal fixture list for the league would be drawn up but with the option that the two teams playing each other on a fixtured Saturday could agree to bring their second meeting forward to the Sunday after the Saturday match. You end playing home and away over one weekend. This could be decided on Thursday night before the sat after looking at the forecast. If both teams are agreable and the umpires can be appointed this could offer a solution to freeing up Saturday's later in the season. There have been three Sundays this season that I remember when I would have really enjoyed a game on a warm sunny Sunday afternoon. (although my club do not play on Sundays!)

Bruce Topping

Donaghcloney

8th Aug 2011

Re: Brendan

If it was up to me I would leave the choice to the school player themselves but they are likley to be pressured by both club and school. Perhaps it would be better for school, clubs and players to come to an agreement about when these player play for club or school. For example I would not expect a school player to put 2nd club cricket before school cricket but where 1st eleven cricket is involved perhaps the player could miss a less important school match for a club match. However if a school has a big match (eg a cup or league semifinal or other "big game" then the perhaps club could give way ?

NCU Insider

Belfast

8th Aug 2011

Great to see Waringstown & Inst getting to the the Irish Cup Final. Much needed shot in the arm for the NCU.

The talk is now that Obus Pienaar is going to arriving back in NI next week and will leave for South Africa again after the Final? Can anyone confirm?

Brendan

Glengormley

8th Aug 2011

Bruce,
I agree that Neil has set out very good points. I was interested in your comment on schools having to play without their best players. Are the schools players given a choice? Sometimes too much is made of the schoolboys involvement as you rightly say there may not be very many playing 1st XI cricket. But we still need to work around the issue as they are the future of the game.

peter shepherd

ballyclare

8th Aug 2011

Promotion and relegation in junior leagues.

As far as I am aware i believe that with JL1 dropping to 8 teams for next season (Is this confirmed) then there is no promotion but only relegation in the junior league. That is certainly the principle i am working on

Bruce Topping

Donaghcloney

8th Aug 2011

RE: Neil Cahill

Great postings Neil. I agree with you on just about everything. League format should 8, 10, 10 and 9 and play as many 50 over rearrangements as possible. I dont object to two/three nighters for premier 2/section 1 and below. Downpatrick kindly allowed us to play a three nighter rearrangement this season and it was a highly enjoyable game of cricket despite rain interruptions. Would also like to see earlier starts. The schools will have to get used to the idea of playing without their very best players on Sat mornings. (I am not sure just how many school players actually play regularly in their first elevens?)

Trimster

Newtownabbey

8th Aug 2011

Could anyone tell me if there is promotion and relegation in junior 1-9 please

bumperdale

Belfast

7th Aug 2011

It's been a long time since an NCU side won the Irish Cup in an epic encounter in 1995 when North Down beat Bready by one run.
We can at last look forward to what should be a superb game between Waringstown and Instonians.
Well done both sides in getting to the final. What a great finale to the 2011 season!

Neil Cahill

Home

7th Aug 2011

Ivan,

Good questions my answers relate to Premier 2 (Section 1) as this is what I know best and don't want to speak for other people and sections.
1. How many overs do players in each section want to play ? 50
2. Does everyone accept DL should be in all Senior crickets meaning more results are obtained on the day and less rearrangements ? Duckworth Lewis should apply
3. How many matches and therefore teams in leagues do people want to play. Is it 14,16 or 18 ? 18
4. Do people want ANY midweek rearrangements and if so one night or two ? Only as a last resort as they are poor quality matches
5. How many Sunday's per season is acceptable to have to play a game ? As many as is required under the rearrangement rules
6. Should cup games be Sunday only ? Yes as the Cup is only important to about 4 teams at the top
7. What time do people want the game to FINISH at ? If we start at 12 and apply DL correctly it shouldn't be an issue
8. Do players want a T20 competition as well as the League and the recognized cup competitions ? Not at the expense of the league